Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Salsa

So this week in one of my classes we had a unit on music of the world. I would try to explain the different musical genres by acting them out and trying to give the class a feel for the style. We did opera, jazz, rap and country. Then we got to salsa. I said:
"SALSA can get really hot and steamy! It's exciting! for SALSA dancing you hold your partner really close and you move like this;" (execute intricate salsa-like move with a spin). "SALSA is like being in a bullfight. SALSA makes your whole body twist and turn and sweat! SALSA. . . what's the matter with you guys?"
The whole class is rolling on the floor with laughter. I'm not that great of a comedian and they didn't laugh like this at the other musical demonstrations, so I ask, "what is so funny?"
"Teacher," one of the kids chokes out, "salsa is Korean for poo-poo. WATER poo-poo!" Another teacher looked it up in a Korean phrasebook and sure enough salsa=diarrhea.
It really makes me wonder what else I've said wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yuck! That's some dirty dancing! :)

Leader of Hank and Company