Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Flying Yogurt

A learning experience in Korean discipline:
OK, so one of my classes has some real troublemakers. Yesterday the ringleader of the group threw a full, liquid yogurt at my head. It missed and splattered spectacularly on my white-board, floor, wall etc. So I sent him without ceremony to the director's office. When class dismissed I carried the backpack that he had left to the director. I found the two of them alone in the auditorium. The student was standing stock-still with his hands held out, palms up, in front of him, tears rolling down his face. The director was standing to the left of him holding a cane. He told me; "Umm uh, I call his mother. . . Uhhh. . . she say to me that he is very bad boy. Umm. . . He bad at school all day and . . . Uhh. . . he come here and bad every day.. Mmmm. . . mother said ok to hit him." I didn't know what to do. I sat down his bag and left the room.
Today he showed up for class, gave me some apple candy, and apologized. He acted better than usual, though still not great. We'll see if it lasts, although I don't know if I can bear to send him there again.
-JNP

1 comment:

Marmee_Nonnie said...

Yikes. I can understand your dilemma. Not believing even in spanking, caning seems mighty severe. Maybe you can devise some form of discipline-like a naughty corner-to try first (being shamed a big thing in many cultures) knowing that as a very last resort, there is the director's office. I know after Matt came back to finish his degree in teaching, he had to unlearn a lot of discipline that was okay in Seoul and not in the US.